Inkjet printers are the most commonly used printers for home and office use. They are ideal for the individual user and small business setups. An inkjet printer prints as the droplets of ink sprinkled on the paper or other material. These drops of ink are ionized and are guided towards its path with the help of metallic plates. The digital print of an inkjet printer is of high quality and could be black or colored based on your cartridge.
The inkjet printers are compact and easy to use, and are, therefore, still quite popular. The important thing to bear in mind is that though these printers can be quite expensive, you can find some real deals by opting for online stores, such as 123inkjets, where you can order printers along with all their accessories and other supplies.
History Of Inkjet Printers
Inkjet printers are one step ahead of dot matrix printers. These printers were developed in the mid of the 20th century. The inkjet technology was introduced in 1950, and the inkjet printers hit the market for the first time in 1970. The inkjet technology is kept on evolving, and many technological advancements are made in the past years. You can now approach the latest modified versions of inkjet printers in your local markets.
Mechanism of Inkjet Printers
The main components of an inkjet printer are print head as well as the ink cartridges, which everyone is actually quite aware of, and then there will paper feed assembly along with belt and stabilizer bar. Nowadays inkjet printers are based on these two technologies
Continuous Inkjet (CIJ) Technology
The continuous inkjet technique is used mostly in commercial printers. It is one of the oldest technique and is still in demand. This technology yields results at a much faster pace and is ideal for printing on materials used commercially.
Drop-On-Demand (DOD) Technology
Drop on demand technology is used mainly in small printers designed for individual use and for small setups. This technology works at comparatively slow speed but gives more accurate results. There are two types of drop on demand technologies, the Thermal DOD and the Piezoelectric DOD. Thermal DOD is ideal for printers used at home whereas the Piezoelectric DOD is used for commercial as well as non-commercial purposes. The later one is more effective as it offers a wider variety of inks as compared to the former one.
Types of Inkjet Printers
There are various types of inkjet printers available in the market. These are:
- Deskjet Printers: Deskjet printers are commonly used in homes and offices. They are designed for non-commercial use and are most popular among all the inkjet printers.
- Professional Printers: There are various professional models of inkjet printers available for commercial use. Some of them are categorized as ‘page-width’ while others as ‘wide-format’.
- There are other inkjet printers too that are used specifically for digital photo printing like SOHO printers.
Salient Features Of Inkjet Printers
- Inkjet printers are relatively portable due to its small printing head and lightweight. You can easily carry them around from one place to another.
- As compared to dot-matrix printers, inkjet printers produce very less noise while printing.
- Inkjet printer produces superior quality digital prints with high resolutions.
- With compact ink cartridges, inkjet printers print photos of with expert level clarity and with vivid colors.
- Some industrial quality inkjet printers offer 3D printing as well
- Inkjet printers are economical, and their maintenance is also reasonable regarding
- Nowadays multifunctional inkjet printers are available in the market that facilitates scanning, copying, and faxing along with printers. These printers exclude the need of various machines and thus lowers down the explicit cost.
Shortcomings Of Inkjet Printers
- The inkjet printer works at comparatively slow speed as compared to other advanced printers, like the laser printers, available in the market.
- The digital prints produced by inkjet printers often fade quickly.
- The nozzle of inkjet printers is quite narrow and often get clogged resulting in wastage of ink, printing paper or material, and time.
- The printed images of inkjet printers are unreliable and can get merged even with slight moisture or dampness.
- Inkjet printers are less durable as its printing head, nozzle and belt often get damage with mishandling.
- The ink cartridges of inkjet printers get dried quickly if not in use.
Featured image : brain-images-ssl.cdn.dixons.com